today, i stumbled upon an article from The Odyssey Alabama titled, Thoughts When Beginning Your 5th Year At Alabama.
i am currently about to start my 5th year at alabama, and i’m not thrilled about it.
a) i’m not thrilled because i don’t like school work (but who does)
b) most of my friends have graduated and have moved to cool cities and live in cool lofts with their cool new friends
c) i want to drag the college world out as long as possible, and this is the beginning of the end of that
i’m not really sure what to expect for my 5th year. i think i expect something along the lines of golden girls mixed with animal house… but only time will tell.
this is my favorite article posted by the odyssey i think ever. here are my reactions to their list:
1. Where did all my friends go?
again, they are living in cool cities, drinking after work cocktails with all of their old looking work friends…. oh to be in their shoes.
2. “Mr. Jones” is older than most of these kids.
it’s time to graduate…..
3. I’m five years older than when I began college…great.
only two more years and i will have been in college for 1 dog year!
4. Anyone remember when Gallettes was for upperclassmen?
now when i go to gallettes, i feel like I’m babysitting little girls who wanted to play dress up with their moms lipstick and stilettos (and bandage dresses with ombre hair)
5. Phi Delt used to be next to Bryant-Denny—fun fact.
oh yes, i am well aware. may the old phi house rest in peace… along with my innocence
6. Rose Towers used to exist.
my innocence can also rest in peace here
7. How are there now three Dunkin’ Donuts in Tuscaloosa?
great.. now there are 3 dunkin’ donuts. would have been nice to have when my roommate and i would drive an hour and fifteen minutes to get a 50 pack of munchkins.
8. Burger King used to be located in the Ferg.
but now there is auntie anne’s so i think I’m okay with that
9. DG didn’t have a sorority house.
and now their house is the smallest one. when it was built, it was one of the largest in the country
10. Where did all these apartments come from?
absolutely none of these apartments could be built to standards. they go up in 3 months, and people are moved in within 4 months…. i think i’ll stay in my cement fort for now, thank you
11. eLearning was a pain to use before Blackboard Learn.
i have two words for eLearning. and neither of them are appropriate for this blog.
12. UA parking is still the worst. Yes, that is AJ McCarron’s car that girls used to stalk around campus.
sometimes, i feel bad for the ua parking attendants. they have THE most hated job on campus. usually, i kill them with kindness. i still get a ticket, but hey at least i wasn’t the guy who made their day worse. *we used to try to find aj mccarrons (my auto correct changed mccarron to macaroni and i am currently dying) obnoxious car on campus. i think that he had more than one and hired dark haired guys to just drive them around because you could see him ALL the time.
13. Dinning dollars used to only consist of Buffalo Phil’s and Dominos.
wait, other places take dining dollars? if you know which ones do, comment below because *BrOkE CoLLeGe GurL*
14. Where did all these northerners come from?
i’m pretty sure 70% of the university is from new jersey or new york. the occasional texan slips in there… but where did all the southerners go?
15. Dr. Whitt was so much better than J-Bo.
you didn’t see a twitter account called @definitelydrwhitt, did you? dr. whitt is a saint.
16. R.I.P. The Corner Store.
coke icees, boiled peanuts, ice sent from heaven, weird pickles in a baggie, ironic bama bumper stickers, koozies… you will be truly missed.
17. Mallet and their stoop.
mallet isn’t a thing anymore? i guess i have been living under their stoop…
18. Why does everyone say they are from Birmingham?
like, we live an hour from birmingham… i think we know the surrounding neighborhoods…
19. The University’s idea of a Snow Day is now anything less than 35 degrees.
i’m not complaining. and neither is gallettes… i’m pretty sure 40% of their annual profits come from snow days.
20. Snowpocalyse 2013, the day Gallettes ran out of beer.
oh look, see i was right… this was the best day of every UA students college career.
21. The statue of Coach Saban only had 2009 on it when I started going to school here.
22. Harry’s used to be 19 and up—remember that?
harry’s bar is what i imagine the tenth circle of hell in the sequel to dantes inferno. but i don’t like it, i love it love it love it.
23. Some people thought we should have started Phillip Sims over AJ McCarron. History proved otherwise.
as big of a creeper as aj is, there is not denying he was the best choice… it took him a minute to warm up, but look at where it got us.
24. The football team still can’t kick a field goal.
i don’t think we ever will…..
25. But J.K. Scott for Heisman 2015.
is this kid 12?
26. Dierks Bentley performed at Greekfest across from Delta Chi. He was terrible.
i wouldn’t know because this was the first social event of the season my freshman year. shout out to my friend (we’ll call her scmicole….) for having one too many. but we also made my favorite memory from college this night. glad i didn’t miss dierks doing anything incredible. schmicole was way more entertaining.
27. Bid Day is still like Christmas morning.
not going to lie, i already have fomo… the year i had to run with the letters from the stadium… i pray there are no photos.. i showed up with the “Z” like ten minutes after all of the new members got to the house
28. The Package Center used to be in Patty Hall.
now there is a raising cane’s, i’m really not complaining. and paty hall smells like a liter box. *also, whoever wrote this article – do you even go to alabama? you spelled paty hall “patty hall”…. rookie mistake
29. T.C.B security was the go-to for parties.
what ever happened to these guys? remember the guy with the handle bar mustache who I’m pretty sure had a gun, not a taser? he was a nice man… i ate dinner next to him at ichiban once. *SwEeT MeMoRiEs
30. Bo’s Bar. Enough Said
i mean, there was a zeta flag on the wall…. pi kapp / zeta forever
if you remember any of these, share this post with your friends!
ciao for now,